Saturday, December 26, 2009

Short Bio.

When I sit back and consider the significant events in my past, the important aspects of my current life, and my future goals, the underlying theme is one of appreciating diversity, especially across ethnic and socioeconomic class lines.

I was born and raised in Crescent City, California, the product of a Hmong father and mother with roots in Laos and Miao ancestry. In my early years of education, the frustration with teachers mispronouncing my name seemed as though it might never end. I remember how my father would tell me having a Hmong name would make me different and stronger than a typical American name would. It took me a couple of years to fully crack his true meaning. The terror did not end until the ninth grade when I had my first course in Spanish, at which point my teacher had some experience with "exotic" names and got "may-shoo-wa" correct on the first try. I began to question whether it was acceptable to have a unique heritage which did not coincide with the majority in my community. But all of these have been important lessons, and I believe that I have learned as much through these experiences as I have through my twenty years (and counting) of public intellectuals. Now I rise with my name fearless and tremendously thrilled to have a name of which not many girls do.

I believe that I grew more, emotionally, socially, and intellectually, during my 4 years of being culturally wedded to the love of my life during any other period of time thus far. We took on the role of not just being a daily break-up couple but committing ourselves to each other for a life time. We’re decayed souls whose accomplished many things already and as far as I know, we’re not going to stop there. As the love of my life say’s the earth is still circling around the sun 24/7 in 365 days, for the world does not stop for anyone. I find life to be like a traffic light. Green for always on the go and Yellow to slow down sometimes and Red for stop when necessary. In our situation Green & Yellow is infamously attached to the chapters in our story books, Reds not going to taint the cover or pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment